Concert Photography and Experience (1/2)

Since I got lot of ask on askfm about photography especially

"How to sneak camera in to the concert venue?" 
"Which camera and lens work best for concert?"
"How to set the camera for concert?"

I decided to post this to share my experience. I couldn't say this is a tips and trick because I know I'm not an expert it's just based on my experience. So let's start...




First must be about the equipment. Do we need a super expensive DSLR camera? For me, as long as it's called DSLR, there's nothing you can doubt about the quality. Indeed the higher/pricey camera have better quality. As comparison, I used to take photo with (arranged from the cheapest) Canon 450D, 700D, 60D, 70D. Leave Canon 450D since it's really an old camera (I guess its from 2008) but it still can produce great photos for my college assignment. And 700D is a middle-low class DSLR. It's lighter than 60D/70D, comes with touch screen and the results are sharp and the color is nice.

Canon 60D comes after and I still use it till now. I think it's one of the best and convenient DSLR. And Canon 70D is the improved version of 60D, difference? 70D has touch screen, higher ISO for dark place, fast RAW photo, more AF points, built in WiFi. 70D ISO helps you in a concert.

So what about the lens? Do I need to have the lens just as fansite master? Uhm...if you really want to make a photo just as fansite master all you need is a lens with low F/aperture so it can help you to take photo in the dark such as concert. Fansites usually use Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS Mark II lens, but lately for awards I saw they use Canon 70-300mm / 100-400mm because they need more zoom as the stage was far. But the price is indeed shocking knowing it's one of the best lens. I usually rent it just for a concert rather than buying it. Any alternatives lens with cheaper price?? Of course it is.

Canon EF-S lens with black colored body are some of the best alternatives (because white lens intend to have higher price as it's for professionals). If I should rank my preferences based on price and quality for a concert if you use Canon:

  1. Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS Mark II/I
  2. Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 Non IS
  3. Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS Mark II/I
  4. 3rd Party prime-zoom lens (same remark 70-200 f/2.8) (Tamron/Sigma)
  5. Canon EF-S zoom lens with black colored body.
  6. 3rd Party zoom lenses (such as Tamron/Sigma)
For further Canon review, please refer to this: Canon Lens, Canon DSLR, Tamron Lens, Sigma Lens

What kind of camera + lens that fansite master are using?
Camera: Mostly Canon 5D Mark III, some are changing to Canon 5D Mark IV. Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 6D (mostly fansite will use 1 digit EOS type because it's full frame camera which produced sharper, un-cropped photo.) If she's rich enough, Canon 1D (the highest class). But at the beginning they also use 2 digit EOS type for the start before slowly changing into 5D.

Lens: Mostly Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS Mark II. Both for concert, fansign, airport. Other lens occasional.

Secondly, please consider your budget and purpose while buying this expensive camera so you won't regret. For beginner, Canon EOS 750D/760D (I believe 760D is newer + upgraded version of 750D)  with 18-135mm lens kit is one of the best choice. It cost approx. 14 million rupiahs (750D is cheaper).

If you have more budget, 70D/80D (ofc 80D is the upgraded version of 70D) with 18-200mm lens kit is the choice, costing approx. 20 million rupiahs (70D is cheaper).

That's why I warn you to consider your budget and purpose.
Do I really need that high specification?  
Will I use this as daily basis camera?

Comments